Monday, June 25, 2012

Deron Williams Returning to Utah (A Daydream)

Look, I know. He wants the Nets or the Mavs. But can't a Jazz fan daydream?

Imagine the following:


Associated Press                                                                                                                  Updated: July 3, 2012, 11:51 AM ET

SALT LAKE CITY – After his unexpected trade to New Jersey on February 23, 2010, Deron Williams thought his time in Utah was finished forever. However, the last few months had started to change his mind and had him considering a return to the Jazz where he began his stellar career.

“My wife and I really enjoyed living in Salt Lake City,” said Williams, “and my kids had spent five years there, so we were all pretty upset when I got traded.”

With his free agency upcoming, Williams said he and his wife started talking about the places they might want to end up, with Brooklyn, Dallas, Houston, and Salt Lake City all being in the mix. When he asked his four children, though, only one place came up: Utah.

“My kids all wanted to go back to Utah,” said Williams. “They loved their friends and especially the mountains, skiing and hiking and all that, and that made me and my wife really consider going back.”
In a shocking turn of events, Williams decided to return to the Jazz, making the Nets victims of one of the most lop-sided trades in NBA history.

On February 23, 2010, the Nets received Deron Williams in exchange for guard Devin Harris, forward Derrick Favors, two first round draft picks, and $3 million in cash. Now, with their upcoming move to Brooklyn imminent, the Nets have nothing to show for the trade. Utah, on the other hand, after trading Devin Harris, has a bright future with Williams back in town.

“This is where I learned the NBA and where I became an all star,” said Williams. “I wanted to sign somewhere that could contend for an NBA title quickly, and I think we’ve got the team to do that I’m happy to be back in Salt Lake City and hope I finish my career here.”

Meanwhile the Nets will be moving into their billion-dollar arena with MarShon Brooks as the headlining star—not exactly what they had in mind when they made the trade two years ago.

“We wish Deron all the best,” said Nets coach Avery Johnson. “Obviously, we wanted him back, but he chose to leave and we are grateful for the time he spent here. We feel good about our future and are looking forward to the upcoming season.”

It’s the type of story that sounds like a Hollywood movie, a superstar unexpectedly getting traded then returning later under better circumstances. This time around, Deron hopes it has a fairy tale ending.
“I want to win it all man,” said Williams. “I started here and we got close in 2007, but this time I want it all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment